Thursday, April 24, 2008

Butterflies in my stomach.. or are they...

I have read so much on the Internet about mothers being able to feel their babies kicking since Week 16, and my colleague share about her being able to feel hers since Week 15 or so! So I was really getting a little impatient about feeling that "flutter". So much so that on many occasions, I was guilty of "poking" my stomach intentionally, just to see whether that will stimulate little astronaut to move *evil grin* But of course, nothing I did seem to stir him from his sleep, and in fact, I think Papa Gee was upset about me trying to disturb his precious son!

Finally, 3 days ago, on last Monday, I thought I felt more than the usual rumble in my stomach, and in fact, it was something like a kick from inside my tummy. When I placed my hand gently near the area, I could physically feel a section of my tummy moving. I got very excited, and asked Papa Gee to try placing his hands too. Although I know many said that it's not possible for the Father to feel the baby till much later in the pregnancy, but I just wanted him to confirm that that was a kick, rather than my gassy stomach again. In fact, I think I have not been in such a confused state for such a long time! Wondering about every movement whether it's pure flatulence, stomach hungry or baby moving! ;)

And anyway, finally, when Papa Gee placed his hands on my tummy and concentrating for a while, he suddenly exclaimed that he felt it too! So yes, our first touch with our little one and another step closer to bonding with him.

Actually, many thoughts went through my mind during that moment. 1) The reality of the whole pregnancy -> that there is something living actually growing right inside of me 2) Added responsibility of being a good mother, taking care of myself as well as him while he is in side me 3) Whether the whole pregnancy will be smooth sailing 4) Wondering about the whole labour process (mainly the pain portion) 5) And finally, whether I will be a good mother after the birth

And during this period, I am really thankful for Papa Gee being around me, because he has provided me with tremendous support, both physically (through all the massages I make him give me every night) and mentally (when I torture him with my fav questions "Is my tummy too small" "tummy too big" etc And I really feel so blessed with the 2 of them with me and I hope i can continue to stay positive throughout this whole pregnancy and worry less everyday. Because I definitely want little astronaut to come out a happy and healthy baby, rather than a frowning one!

No comments: